Leather Archives and Museum. (1989). Boots are made for marching flyer. Https://Leatherarchives.Org/. Retrieved 14 April 2022, from https://leatherarchives.org/ca/index.php/LoginReg/LoginForm
💡 For the sources listed under each myth: click on the title to see more info about each source, including a link to the full text. Click on the expand arrow for just the pull quotes.
Myth 1: Kink/BDSM representation is not appropriate at Pride Marches
- Leatherfolk marched in the very first pride
- The “Kink at Pride” debate is as old as pride itself
- The Eulenspiegel Society has had an official presence at NYC pride since the 1970s
- The Bay Area leather community founded the AIDS Emergency Fund in response to the AIDS/HIV crisis in the 1980’s
Myth 2: tHinK oF ThE ChiLdREn!
- Rhetoric about "protecting children" has been weaponized against sexual minorities by radical feminists and conservatives alike.
- Such moral panics cause demonstrable harm, and don’t actually protect children.
- This bias has been used against BDSMers in divorce and custody cases (moreso before the DSM 5 removed consensual BDSM from paraphilia diagnoses.)